Wednesday, December 31, 2014

on the spectrum

Still go back to YouTube comments, now and then.  Eh, I don't understand why, either.. but, sometimes it's amusing.  A commenter accused me of being obsessed with irrelevant minutia and asked if I was "on the spectrum," before launching into a tirade on the virtues of being selfless and challenging ourselves.

To which, (inexplicably) I replied...

The devil is in the detail, as they say.  You're right, I am very detail oriented.  I think details can be critical to understanding the broader picture.

It's interesting that you see it as a sign of autism, though.  It would not be my only symptom, but I've known people who are indisputably autistic.  I don't know what to make of this ever widening spectrum.  It seems so broad as to be diagnostically useless, and speaks to my original point - if medical professionals understood the brain as well as they pretend to, we wouldn't need these vague ambiguous categories and hokey arrogant philosophies.

I've been where you are, too.  I thought I had answers, because life was going ok for the moment, and I wanted to be able to think I had something to do with that.  Then when it falls apart, and my answers don't work for shit, I started to have some doubts.

I'm starting to think even Siddhartha was just wrong.  Which shouldn't be surprising.  He'd never even heard of serotonin.

(Just kinda seemed worth saving, but maybe I'm just stoned)

No comments: