Wednesday, January 28, 2015

quinoa chorizo

One of my favorite breakfasts has been chorizo and eggs, although I've always had issues with the chorizo part.  Not only is it shamelessly not vegetarian, but I'm never entirely sure what sort of pork it actually is.  Assuming that it's even pork.

Mostly, or even entirely, I just like the way it's spiced.  It goes really well with scrambled eggs.  And home fries.  In Chicago, I couldn't find anywhere that did chorizo worth a damn, but instead discovered Trader Joe's Soy Chorizo.  It was pretty good.. but honestly, not quite as good.  Except for the not worrying about what sort of meat it was.

Now, here in Montclair, with the Fogel's, not only is pork treif, but even soy is frowned on.  I hate when people frown on my cooking.  Besides, Trader Joe's is way too far to walk to, along some sort of parkway so that I can't even bike to it.

However, they did introduce me to quinoa.  Healthier than soy, decidedly not meat, and it's kosher.  The only downside is that it's kind of pricey, and there seems to be this issue with it only being grown in an impoverished country, where the people who live there used to be able to afford to eat it themselves.  That does suck, but I hope the rest of us figure out how to grow it elsewhere, someday soon.  I don't understand why we can't do that.

Anyhow, it occurred to me the other day, spiced the right way, it might actually make for good mock chorizo.  It even has the right consistency for it.  So, I sauteed up some onions and garlic, adding smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, besan, cumin, sumac, coriander, black pepper, marjoram, and a splash of sri racha.  and salt, of course.  It's supposed to be a bit salty.

It's supposed to be a strong flavor that would be a bit much on it's own, but goes really well with eggs.  Cooked until a nice reddish brown, it worked incredibly well.  Even better than real chorizo, in my almost vegetarian opinion.

So, I just reheated some of that, alongside an omelette, when I woke up this morning.  Garnished with a cup of coffee.  Yeah, I seem to be feeling quite a bit better, these days.  Not good enough to do home fries too, but that's a bit much for me to sit and eat by myself.

All this, in spite of the fact that I went to refill my Omnitrope prescription yesterday, only to be denied coverage.  I'm being transitioned to Medicare in February, so Horizon NJ Health decided to yank the rug out from under me, immediately.

Hopefully, Medicare will kick in and actually cover me, in a few days.. without making me go through a whole new obstacle course, first.  Have I mentioned that I hate the way insurance works in this country?  It's insane.

No comments: