Thursday, February 26, 2015

omnitropic dissonance

My insurance company has been giving me problems.. and when I say "my insurance company," I now mean Medicare's EnvisionRx.  Can't even blame it on some local corporate penny-pinching, but rather federal bureaucracy pulling the same damn thing.

My last injection was on the 22nd.  I tried to fill my prescription a week in advance of that, but they wouldn't let me, because they put a time constraint on refills so that I won't stockpile it, or sell it - except all I was trying to do was prevent exactly this from happening.  When I ran out, I tried again, but they said I needed to wait until the 25th.  This must have been because my dosage was increased from 0.2mg to 0.3mg, but they were still basing that timer on the old dosage.

Ok, just two extra days, not a big deal.  So I show up on the 25th, and then they say that was still too soon.  Since I'd refilled my last prescription on the 2nd, and I have to wait 30 days between refills.  It was a 25 day prescription, so wait, what?!  Had to trudge back home empty handed yet again, and call my doctor.  My doctor has to call Medicare and sort it out.  I have to wait for someone to get back to me.

In the meantime, I feel lousy.  It was hard to tell how much it was helping, until suddenly stopping.  I was fine for two or three days, and then it was like the floor dropped out from under me.  I'm tired, I'm scatterbrained, I don't feel like doing anything.  I'm now aware of just what a difference this has been making.

It's feels a lot like the foggy fatigue of caffeine withdrawal, but less headache, more angst.  Except that it's not like a drug where any of this can be chalked up to withdrawal.  It's just a supplement of something everyone else gets to take for granted.  At levels still well below what would even be normal.

I hope Medicare isn't putting up much of a fight, and my doc gets back to me soon.

No comments: