Thursday, July 23, 2015

scapegoatting

Sometimes people just really want to be angry with each other.  It sounds crazy, but it's true.  There's something comforting about having someone to be angry at, rather than someone or something beyond your sphere of influence.  We don't like feeling angry at the wind.  That's just pointless.

So much more satisfying to be angry at someone we can actually have an impact on.  Someone that can be hurt by that anger.  I guess that's kinda the point.. but seriously, grow the fuck up.

I keep this to myself, though.  Be angry at me, whatever, I'll be fine.  It'll blow over, and before we know it, we can pretend nothing happened.  Call it fear, call it whatever you want, it just seems like a bad idea to even bother being confrontational.  It never works, no matter how meticulously I chose my words, no one ever changes their mind.

People stick to their asinine proclamations, even when everyone knows what a jackass they're being.  To be confrontational, no matter how skillfully, just extends the drama.  It ends up being no more than a catharsis that isn't really worth it.

So, here, where it won't be read by the party in question.  Just venting.

No comments: