Saturday, June 3, 2017

expertise

A lot of my familiarity with mental health issues began with my efforts at making sense of America's mental health systems.  Each state has been a little different, each therapist, each psychiatrist, but they did seem to share a variety of attributes.  Possibly systemic in nature, similarities in education practices, or the pharmaceutical industry's influence, who knows.  Conventional wisdom that had a few consistently gaping holes in it.

One of which being an aversion towards treating mental health and physical health as related, unless glaringly obvious.  Hypopituitarism was always brought up early, and yet, always left there, amidst my introduction, never to be considered relevant again.  Never was it suggested that I should get any neurological testing done, or anything of that nature.  We don't seem to be at the point scientifically, where that makes a whole lot of sense, so they don't even mention it.  Seems they don't like dealing with any of that, as if there's a solid dividing line between practices.  Psychiatrists never mention endocrinology, therapists never mention neurology, nobody ever mentions neuroendocinrology, etc.

Most of my digging in those areas being more recent, as it just wasn't the direction I'd been pointed.  Most of my life, my framing has been strictly psychiatric, psychoanalytic, or somewhere in between.  My criticism of the industry being leveled at those fields, not the research adding entirely new dimensions to the discourse.  Studies of treatments that are still in their infancy, a long ways from showing reliable efficacy, and being established as standard practice.  Instead, still largely ignored in favor of traditional methods of thoroughly well documented inadequacy.

At least in my experience.  It could be yet another example of the US being behind the curve.. I have no idea what it's like in other places.

No comments: